We Welcome Kind Words

Elphos Weekly is all about sharing stories about kind acts, amazingly simple acts that make a huge difference, and other resources, like Elphos.org, that are trying to spread happiness in our community.
We hope you take the chance to read some of the stories, and would like to hear about similar stories you might have, what you have seen that is great, or any other comments you want to share.
Enjoy reading.

Why, what difference did I make. . .

Sunday, April 6, 2008 8:29 PM

Right now in Minneapolis it is hazy and drizzly - which for me, makes the perfect night to grab a cup of coffee and take a walk. I don't know what it is about this weather - but I love it. That feeling of cold to the bone that a mist of rain gives you coupled with a warm cup of coffee. I just love it.

So I was walking - I decided to return the movies I had rented from RedBox this weekend. Uptown is really blossoming right now - there are all sorts of people on the streets. i love watching them - and try not to stare at the people I see.

On the way home from the RedBox, I found myself watching a man opening up all of Smoker's Outposts, digging for cigarettes that were only half smoked. I watched him pull one out - it had lipstick on it. He brought it to his lips and lit it from a pack of matches in his pocket.

I wanted to cry. I almost did cry. I've seen this before, it isn't new to me. I've hardened to the reality that people that are well off discard things that aren't fully used - and those not as fortunate dig through the refuse for things they can't afford. This isn’t why my eyes glossed over.

In that instant, for some reason – I realized that that man and I could be the same. All it would take is one car accident – loosing brain function – and I’d be walking the streets as this man does today. Searching through discarded “gold.” Unfortunately I am a smoker, I know the cravings – there is no doubt in my mind that I would be rummaging through the ash trays for a slight relief from it if I were in his shoes.

I gave the man half my pack of cigarettes – selfishly knowing I’d have a craving later. I didn’t help him. Not one bit. I did it because I couldn’t stand watching him open another smoker’s outpost and dig through the ashes. What does that make me? Tonight, I feel hopeless. Sitting in my warm room, in front of my $1,000 laptop, what do I really do?

I am trying with Elphos.org. I don’t know if I am doing any good – or if it is just another suburban kid’s pipe dream and naiveness. I’m trying.

0 comments:

Recent Comments