We Welcome Kind Words

Elphos Weekly is all about sharing stories about kind acts, amazingly simple acts that make a huge difference, and other resources, like Elphos.org, that are trying to spread happiness in our community.
We hope you take the chance to read some of the stories, and would like to hear about similar stories you might have, what you have seen that is great, or any other comments you want to share.
Enjoy reading.

Washing Dishes Watching an Act of Kindness

Friday, February 8, 2008 1:23 PM

A random act of kindness I witnessed:

On occasion - I wash my dishes. Now at first read of that last sentence - you might think that my sink is filled with dishes - reeking of last weeks parmesian chicken dinner. Well, what I failed to mention is that I am the dishwasher. I can show you my winkeled, smelling of Joy soap hands. (and if anything starts to stink - I make sure to make that dishwasher night)

The thing about my kitchen is that there is a window that overlooks (underlooks?) the street - at street level. So my view of people is that of a five year old kid - my head at the height of their knees. This advantage point is interesting to me for a number of reasons. First, people hardly realize that I can see them (insert evil laugh here). Second - I am not used to looking up when talking to people - and there is just something different about it.

Today, while slaving away at my dishes - a rag over my shoulder and elbow deep in soapy water - I noticed a young couple standing outside my window. Now I didn't mean to watch - but there was just something different going on. Maybe it was my first look at their expressions - or the fact they both were not wearing jackets (it has to be about -5 outside right now without the windchill). What they were doing really isn't important - but what I saw filled me hope for humanity.

Walking the past the couple was an obviously homeless man. One look at the guy - and you could tell he had just spent a night outside. His whole being looked cold.

As the man walked past the couple, I saw that the young man said something to the homeless man. Immediatly followed by the young woman offering her scarf - and the man offering his gloves.

Here are two young people - offering their only real protection from the cold to another person. The act was so kind, and so rare. I'd just like to say thank you to that couple on 32nd st Street.

0 comments:

Recent Comments