We Welcome Kind Words

Elphos Weekly is all about sharing stories about kind acts, amazingly simple acts that make a huge difference, and other resources, like Elphos.org, that are trying to spread happiness in our community.
We hope you take the chance to read some of the stories, and would like to hear about similar stories you might have, what you have seen that is great, or any other comments you want to share.
Enjoy reading.

Inadvertent Letter

Friday, February 8, 2008 1:24 PM

About how I received a hope letter. . . that I wrote

When I first came up with this idea, I wrote 20 letters. Some to friends and family, and some to total random strangers that I picked out of the phone book. The joy of writing these letters was immense. For some of the people, this was the first time that I had told them how much they mean to me. For others, I knew their letter would bring them a smile to their face.

I figured that I better get the website up and running before sending the letters, so over the past few weeks, most of my free time has been dedicated to building this site.

This is the first time I have ever programed in HTML, or used databases or promoted a website. To tell the truth, it has been fairly overwhelming. Both the amount of time spent, and the frustration involved while I struggle to learn HTML, has been draining.

At the height of my frustration, I decided to go to the post office to check the P.O. box. As I opened the mail box, I saw the edge of a letter. I was excited, it was my first letter that someone had sent to the P.O. Box. I was like a little kid in a candy store.

When I pulled the letter out - my excitement dissipated. Right there on the front, in big mocking letters, was the words "Return to Sender - No Such Addressee."

It was one of the letters that I had randomly sent to someone I found in the phone book - and it was returned.

When I opened the letter (I'm not going to lie, I was going to send the letter to another random address) - I read it. The quote contained inside - well - lets say it gave me the hope I needed after these last few weeks of frustration.

The Letter simple said:
"Just as despair can come to one only from other human beings, hope, too, can be given to one only by other beings" ~Elie Weisel.

After reading this, it renewed my excitement about this site, and the purpose that I originally created the site for. This inadvertent letter brought me renewed hope in the purpose of this organization.

0 comments:

Recent Comments